Start a new topic

GPU Rendering Animation Slowly Consumes Memory -> Crash

Hi,

I'm LOVING the GPU rendering, it's really enabled a lot more flexibility and quality from my output. Thanks for developing this!

KS 9.3.14 Pro

Windows 10

RTX 3080 GPU with 10GB video memory.

I'm rendering long sequences of animation (4000+ frames), and it keeps crashing part way through. Using MSI Afterburner to monitor the GPU, and in the render window of Keyshot, I can see the video memory footprint of the render is increasing with each frame produced. About 6MB per frame. (This is for 1920x1080 images)

Since I'm rendering thousands of frames, my video memory fills up and it crashes the render after ~1000 frames, as it's consumed an extra 6GB by that point. The crash produces no error code, it just appears to be a completed render until I go into the folder and find missing frames.

Additionally: I noticed that if I turn on GPU rendering, it consumes a chunk of video memory, but when I turn OFF GPU rendering, it doesn't release that memory. Reloading the file or opening a new blank scene doesn't release it either. I have to exit out of KS and restart in order to get the memory back. As you can imagine, this has the potential to crash large scenes unnecessarily.

3 people have this question

Justin, 
Thank you for this quick updated hotfix. 

One clarification before I uninstall the current build, please:

Do I need to deactivate the license before uninstalling - with the risk of re-activation failing again, like it did for me yesterday - or do I just uninstall and do a clean install?

We did have issues with our License server Yesterday but we feel that it has been resolved.

You should be able to Uninstall and do a clean install.

Perhaps I fail at clarity of communication:
BEFORE uninstalling, do I need to deactivate the license? 

No it should be fine.

I finally gave up and had to downgrade to Keyshot 10.0. No GPU issues with that version. I'm afraid to update it again as I'm working on an important project at the moment.

Just made a test on .82 version yesterday. Left PC rendering an animation overnight. Well, I am happy to report that the issue has been resolved! Thank you! No GPU out of memory errors and at the end GPU memory reseted to its original state without restarting Keyshot.

1 person likes this

Good to hear! I've stuck with CPU rendering for now as that's what my latest materials are refined for, but I also noticed the 10.1.82 fixed a couple interface bugs too.

Hi team, 

I hope you're doing well. I am a user of Keyshot 10.2 Pro and also Keyshot 11. I would like to highlight the same GPU Memory loss issue for Keyshot 10. Please find below the screenshots for the error I received and also it would be really helpful if you can guide me through the further steps to be taken for this.

PS: This model is not even 500 samples and not as that many polygons. It would be really helpful if you guys can have a look onto this and help me with the solution to this.
Thank you. 

Login to post a comment