Start a new topic
Answered

fade animations and area lights

I am using KS9 pro.  I am trying to animate a colored 'area light material' to appear in the middle of the animation.  Strange things are happening - not sure if it's user error or bug??

When I apply a curve-fade (number fade) to the object with are light material in the material graph I lose the ability to have the area light be a color other that white.  This makes sense (i guess) because the fade utility gets applied to the color channel of the area light.. . . so I tried to first fade the light object from 100% to 0% at the very beginning of the animation, then applied an area light material to the object with the blue color I need, then added another fade animation to the object (from 0% to 100%) at the point in the timeline when I need to light to 'come on'. . . (I have used this same process on emissive materials to make LED lights turn on and blink). . .however, when I do this the object with the area light material 'ignores' the fade animations and is visible 100% all the time. . . this seems only to happen with area light material is applied to the object, otherwise the fade animation works as expected. . . .  am I doing something wrong, or is area light material limited in ability to independently vary both color and visibility?

Best Answer
I had a colleague of mine create something for you in KeyShot 8 and 9 showing the workflow.
The scene is using a multi-material for the area light and shows a few ways to control light switching: Steps vs Smooth.
From his viewpoint, Curve Fade on Power is the best way to go.
This should get you started.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know.

Luxion Support

bip
bip
1 Comment

Answer
I had a colleague of mine create something for you in KeyShot 8 and 9 showing the workflow.
The scene is using a multi-material for the area light and shows a few ways to control light switching: Steps vs Smooth.
From his viewpoint, Curve Fade on Power is the best way to go.
This should get you started.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know.

Luxion Support

bip
bip
Login or Signup to post a comment